Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Face of Autism

This is the face of autism.  The off stare, the simulated smile, the disinterested look.  This is a face of Gabe.
I have thought of the two pictures here on this post many, many times. . . My oldest son Gabriel has been blessed with Autism.  Some of the doctors have said Aspergers, some have said, PDD-NOS.  Either way, it doesn't really matter.  What matters is that I love this child for everything that he is.  I see the parts of his autism and I see the parts of him that are without autism.  In my family, I try to view this as a blessing.  I frequently remind myself that without this disability, my son would not be who he is and there would be some other annoying thing that he does just the same as some of his autistic tendencies do. . . it's not the autism, it's life. 

We truly are blessed, because his case is very mild.  He talks, walks, interacts, is social, accepts physical touch happily, and is extremely smart.  There are many parents out there that have children with autism and cannot use the same words to describe their children.  We are blessed.  I cannot count how many times a day he makes me laugh by quoting some random phrase from a movie, commercial, TV show, radio moment, etc.  He is so passionate and imaginative, so creative and loving, so intelligent and silly.  He is also socially awkward, physically awkward, and a mess in the sensory area.  Each and every moment may bring a response that is expectable or a response you wonder what planet it came from, good or bad! 

I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am for him.  Gabe is not only a son of mine, but also a teacher.  Everyday, I learn about him, and autism.  I can't fathom who I would be without all the knowledge I've gained by him having autism.  He is constantly challenging me to grow as a mom. 

People may look at Gabe sometimes and see the face of autism.  Underneath the autism, when he shines through and moves aside the disinterest, this is what I see. . . This is the silly face of Gabe, that so many people get to see so often. 

8 comments:

  1. we LOVE Gabe! he does keep life interesting! and he's a sweetheart!
    <3 his friend (cousin)
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing person, Missy, an amazing mom. Through your eyes, Autism is a learning experience and Gabe is also very blessed to have you and Ryan in his life! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....Wow...WOW!!! I LOVE that picture of Gabe. You have brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of you! Both of your boys are so blessed to have you as their momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what an amazing face it is....love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot express the emotions that swell when I see the challenges that become blessings. Wonderful pictures and a true example of the servant leader..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post Melissa.. I love Gabe with or without, but I know him better with, he is one special young man who will make a difference in someone someday..maybe a teacher or a classmate or a stranger.. he is amazing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, all of you. Thanks for checking out my blog, thanks for your uplifting support, and thanks so much for every part each of you play in my life.

    All of your comments are GREATLY appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tears rolling down my face not because I am sad but your story tells your love for your son. I feel very fortunate to know you!

    ReplyDelete