Sunday, November 13, 2011

Matters of the Heart

My father recently told me, "Missy, be careful.  Feelings get hurt, people get angry and hearts get broken."  He is so right.  I can't question the truthfulness in that statement.  He intended to say that to me in reference to me starting dating.  My father's wisdom being nothing new to me, I always take it and truly ponder over it.  He is, in my mind, very wise.

While pondering, I have had the opportunity to see how this statement is true throughout life.  This statement is true, not only for dating, but encompasses the entire capacity of life's relationships.  Child/parent, significant other relationships, friendships, all of these relationships can benefit from those words of wisdom.

More importantly though, I asked myself, why shouldn't I?  Why shouldn't I put myself out there to get my feelings hurt, to get angry, or to have my heart broken.  This happens often anyway with friends, parents and children, so in essence, why not try to find that person that will share in my happiness?

I have concluded that I fully intend to have my heart-broken.  I have that intention because I want to give life my all.  To the people who come in and value me and I feel confident enough to call them my friend, to date them, to have a relationship with them, I feel compelled to share my complete self with them.  To not shelter myself for fear of them getting angry or being hurt.  I am positive I will get angry in life with friends, family and men that I date.  I am positive that I will be hurt by those same people.  And, in fact, have had my heart broken by those same people as well.

In having my heart broken, I have learned, experienced and been changed into who I am today.  I have become a more confident and happier person, even after heart breaks.  Walking away from a heart break, I will be able to honestly say, I gave my all, I didn't hold back, and I will learn from this.  In my opinion....bring it - I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment